Many things come to mind with the onset of fall. We associate the season with back to school, leaves changing colors, and football games, to name a few. But there’s one thing no one wants to think about: small creatures invading homes to overwinter in the cooler weather. With proper fall pest prevention you won’t have to worry about what bugs you now and throughout the winter. Here’s how to protect your home and family from creepy crawly intruders.
Pests to Prevent (and Why They Bug Us)
Some of the usual suspects for pest invasions in fall are rodents, spiders, ants, termites, cockroaches, fleas, centipedes, stink bugs, and even innocent looking ladybugs. But why do they head into our homes? Many creatures sense the change in weather and search for a warm protected place to overwinter, preferably before the first frost. And it’s easier for them to take cover in already existing structures like sheds, garages, basements, or any dark quiet corner in your home. Besides warmth and protection, the new nesting area must provide them with food and water.
Our Top Tips for Fall Pest Prevention
It’s time to brush up on fall pest prevention with these tips.
- Seal up tears in window screens and weather stripping. Check for cracks and crevices around doors, windows, and floorboards.
- Many pests take a fancy to your food. Crumbs on the floor, leftovers left out, and even pet food make a meal for these invaders. (One man’s trash is a bug’s treasure!).
- Take out the garbage as soon as it’s full or has any kind of smell.
- Invest in a caulking gun to seal up cracks in foundations and around windows and doors. Don’t forget gaps around pipes, plumbing, and places where wires enter the home.
- Clean up inside. Stacks of papers, cardboard boxes, and clutter in general give pests a cozy place to nest. And, some bugs feed on paper and cardboard.
- Remove their water sources by fixing leaky pipes. Check for rotted wood and repair.
- Clean up outside, too. Unfortunately, this involves yard work. Trim tree and shrub branches that are too close to the house. They function as an easy access bridge for bugs. Move any firewood away from the house. Clear out any junk in the yard. It makes nice nooks and crannies for bugs and rodents.
Let Us Help Ban Bugs from Your Home
A few bugs are a nuisance, but a pest infestation often leads to more problems like structural damage, gnawed electrical wires (and potential fire), and food contamination. Some pests even bite and cause unpleasant allergic reactions. Call an expert to help pest-proof your home. At Free Spray Lawn Care we specialize in fall pest prevention and keeping unwanted guests out of your home in any season. Contact us at 866-373-3777 today.
Receive our Perimeter Pest Control for $24.95 Per Treatment with seasonal program of 5 or more treatments.
Receive 50% OFF Grub Preventative Treatment with new lawn care program of 5 treatments or more.